Fury sets up Wilder fight after winning 2nd comeback bout

BELFAST, Northern Ireland – Former world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury won the second fight of his comeback Saturday, clearing the path to a potential bout with WBC titleholder Deontay Wilder later in 2018.

Wilder was ringside at Windsor Park in Belfast to see Fury taken the full 10 rounds against Italian journeyman Francesco Pianeta before being awarded the victory on points, 100-90.

Wilder then entered the ring and said: “We are ready now. This fight will happen. It is on. This fight is official. It’s on. It’s the best fighting the best.”

Fury’s promoter, Frank Warren, standing near the two fighters, said an announcement will be made next week.

“They called, I answered. I said send me a contract, they sent me a contract. I said yes and now he gets a chance to fight the lineal champion of the world,” said Fury, who now has a 27-0 record. “One thing I promise, in Las Vegas, is that I am knocking you out.”

After shocking the boxing world by beating Wladimir Klitschko in November 2015, Fury was out of the ring for 2 1/2 years because of mental health and drug problems. He regained his boxing license in January after accepting a backdated two-year doping ban the previous month for elevated levels of nandrolone in urine samples.

Tyson Fury wins in Belfast and now Deontay Wilder…

Tyson Fury will fight Deontay Wilder in Las Vegas in November after defeating Francesco Pianeta to secure his ambitious shot at the WBC heavyweight champion.

In the second fight of the comeback that began in June, and with Wilder ringside at Belfast’s Windsor Park, the 30-year-old eased to victory over his little-known German opponent and secured 10 rounds of activity that could prove crucial come Vegas.

He was rarely tested against the durable Pianeta and the combination of lapses in concentration with his lack of sharpness prevented Fury from excelling as he can, but he regardless was awarded the winner via a score of 100-90 on referee Steve Gray’s scorecard.

Fury’s first fight after a near-three-year absence came against the even less remarkable Sefer Seferi, who he defeated in four farcical rounds that did little to rid him of the ring rust that would have developed during his inactivity.

He has since lost even more weight, dropping to 18st 6lbs at Friday’s weigh-in, but in agreeing to risk a fight with Wilder so soon into his return he needed further rounds, and for the 33-year-old Pianeta to pose a threat to help him rediscover the reflexes that once brought him success.

Even while winning both, Fury has also had only two fights with his inexperienced trainer Ben Davison, making his preparation for perhaps the world’s most dangerous heavyweight far from ideal, but against Pianeta he at least had the fight he needed in June.

Demonstrations of Fury’s talent came as soon as the first round, when having been trapped in the corner and taken a combination he impressively manoeuvred out of it to finish their exchange on top.

He had promised to take Pianeta more seriously than he had Seferi, and in that respect he delivered, but even then an apparent lack of respect for his opponent contributed to him switching off and occasionally getting caught.

It was in the fourth round when he took a left hook, and nodded in acknowledgement, before continuing to box with relative caution until further opportunities were presented to him, such as in the sixth when he landed a right uppercut and further left hooks.

If Pianeta was gradually being broken down, his punch resistance ensured he rarely looked in danger of suffering a knockdown. Fury’s lack of power at the highest level was similarly exposed when an eighth-round left hook was his best punch of the fight but still Pianeta was largely unmoved.

The lack of drama contributed to the 25,000-strong crowd — most fans had been soaked in the rain — booing at the fight’s final bell and when Gray’s decision was announced, but their boos then turned to cheers when Wilder joined him in the ring to confirm their fight.

“It’s officially on,” declared the American.

Fury responded: “I’m knocking you the f*** out, boy.”

His promoter Frank Warren added: “The fight’s on. The details will be revealed next week but the fight’s on.”

Sheriff: Shooting at football game unrelated to school

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – Authorities say a shooting outside a Florida high school football game in which two men were wounded had nothing to do with school or the game.

Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw said at a news conference Saturday that the adult victims were not students and happened be at the game. Bradshaw says the shooters specifically targeted the two victims because of unspecified past dealings they had and that it was not a random shooting.

Bradshaw says the two men are recovering. Their names have not been released.

The shooting Friday night caused panic at the game between Palm Beach Central and William T. Dwyer high schools, including some injuries as people fled the stadium in chaos.

No arrests had been made Saturday.

Inmate runs crack cocaine operation from inside prison

CRANSTON, R.I. – A Rhode Island inmate has been running a crack cocaine distribution ring from inside prison.

Agents from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Rhode Island ATF Task Force say they arrested four people involved in the drug ring, including 29-year-old James Gomes, an inmate at the Adult Correctional Institutions in Cranston.

Authorities say Gomes arranged drug sales by calling his 50-year-old mother and asking her to conference in his C-Block street gang associates. His mother, Lisa Ellis, would then keep some of the drug proceeds and deposit the rest into Gomes’ prison account.

The mother and son are accused of selling about 112 grams of crack cocaine with 28-year old Joshua Moore and 33-year old Gerald Price. It’s not immediately clear if they have lawyers.

Heat Waves Occur In Our Oceans, Too

Heat waves do not just happen on land. Even the oceans are not spared from the phenomenon and are currently experiencing breaking temperature records.

Scientists reported that off the coast in San Diego, they have found record-breaking seawater temperatures, which is the highest it has been since daily measurements began in 1916.

“Just like we have heat waves on land, we also have heat waves in the ocean,” stated Art Miller of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography.

Increased Heat Wave Cases

The number of “marine heat waves” almost alarmingly doubled between 1982 and 2016. A study published on Aug. 15 affirmed that similar cases are expected to be more prevalent and high as the Earth becomes warmer.

“This trend will only further accelerate with global warming,” said Thomas Frolicher, author of the research. Frolicher is also a climate scientist at the University of Bern in Switzerland.

According to Frolicher’s team, marine heat waves are intense events that happen when the sea-surface temperature goes beyond the 99th percentile of measurements for a certain location.

Oceans notably absorb and release heat slower rate than air. Because of this, heat waves in the ocean last for several days, or even for weeks at times.

“We knew that average temperatures were rising. What we haven’t focused on before is that the rise in the average comes at you in clumps of very hot days — a shock of several days or weeks of very high temperatures,” confirmed Michael Oppenheimer, a Princeton University climate scientist.

Dangers Of Marine Heat Waves

Although many sea critters, bat rays, lobsters, and other free-swimming animals can get away with it, heat waves still pose a threat to the ocean because long warm periods can still be very damaging to stationary marine life such as kelp forests and coral reefs.

Notably, around half of the Great Barrier Reef’s shallow water corals died because of the high ocean temperatures in 2016 and 2017. The coral reefs are crucial for the lives of many creatures.

The research has based its findings on a satellite data and records of sea-surface temperatures that were obtained from buoys and ships. However, it did not involve the intense 79.5 degrees Fahrenheit that was measured off Scripps Pier in San Diego.

Miller spotted a school of bat rays off the pier this month. These animals usually gather in warm water. This drove the researcher to speculate that something was already happening.

Furthermore, variations in ocean circulation in warm water surfaces usually result in decreased production of phytoplankton, the important organisms that shape the basis of the food web in the sea.

Google Is Making It Easier For Android To Support Hearing Aids

Accessibility features are a crucial yet often neglected part of developing effective user interfaces for all. Apple has arguably been the most prominent of all manufacturers on this front, having included special interface tweaks back in the early years of iOS.

Not only that, but Apple also developed technology in 2013 to let iPhone users pair third-party hearing aids via Bluetooth, which means users with hearing impairments have been able to use their iPhones without hassle for half a decade now.

Android Accessibility Features

The same thing can’t be said for Android, on the other hand. The Verge notes that fragmentation — the fact that not all users are running the latest version of Google’s operating system — has made it difficult for hearing aid manufacturers to provide support outside of iPhones.

That changes now. Google has announced that it’s working to bring native hearing aid support on Android, and is trying to make it easier for manufacturers to bring their hearing aid devices work seamlessly on the platform.

Google Announces ASHA Protocol For Hearing Aid Support On Android

The Mountain View company is working with Danish hearing aid company GN Hearing to develop a new hearing aid protocol for Android phones called Audio Streaming for Hearing Aids, or ASHA. The protocol aims to provide high-quality audio streaming with low latency, but also be battery-efficient at the same time.

“ASHA is designed to have a minimal impact on battery life with low-latency while maintaining a high quality audio experience for users who rely on hearing aids,” said Google. “We look forward to continually evolving the spec to even better meet the needs of our users.”

With ASHA, deaf users will be able to pair their hearing aids with Android without using a middleman device. Think of it as Bluetooth but for hearing aids, and connecting these devices to one’s phone will be as easy as connecting Bluetooth headphones.

Google has provided details of the ASHA protocol online for any developer’s perusal. ReSound LiNX Quattro and Beltone Amaze will be the first hearing aid devices to come with native Android support, GN Hearing has confirmed, to be enabled via an upcoming software update.

Google notes that nearly 500 million in the world currently have disabling hearing loss, citing data from the World Health Organization. This number is expected to balloon to 900 million by 2050. As such, it’s crucial that the most used operating system in the world offers an easy way to support hearing aids.

Jose Mourinho: No problems with France star

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho says he “couldn’t be happier” with Paul Pogba after the France midfielder suggested he was dissatisfied with life at Old Trafford.

The World Cup winner, 25, fell out of favour last season and this summer has been linked with a move to Barcelona.

Mourinho said: “He’s playing well, he does for the fans, he does for the team and that’s what I want.

“I cannot demand more from him, I cannot ask more from him.”

Pogba started in the season opener against Leicester last Friday, scoring in the 2-1 win.

  • Pogba: ‘If you’re not happy, you cannot give your best’

The former Juventus player said afterwards: “If you’re not happy, you cannot give your best. There are things I cannot say otherwise I will get fined.”

But Mourinho said: “The truth is we are together for two years and a couple of weeks, and I’ve never been so happy with him as I am now.

“We never had a hard – I don’t know how you like to say – exchange of words. Everything is respected. I have no problems at all.”

Meanwhile, the United manager said Italy full-back Matteo Darmian was likely to remain at Old Trafford. The 28-year-old had been given permission to find a new club, and was a tipped for a return to Serie A.

The Portuguese manager said: “I don’t think he will go. He cannot have any bad feelings towards us, because we opened the door for him in case his desire was to go, but it looks like it’s not going to end in a transfer and for me it is good news.

“For me it’s good news that Matteo is staying.”

Altidore attracting European interest

Toronto FC striker Jozy Altidore is drawing interest as the European transfer window is heading to a close.

With the window slamming shut in Italy on Saturday and on August 31 on the rest of the continent, the 28-year-old United States international is on the radar of a Serie A and a Ligue 1 side, reports ESPN’s Jeff Carlisle.

Altidore is in his fourth season with the defending MLS Cup champions and just returned to action following nearly four months on the sidelines after foot surgery. The Livingston, NJ native scored a hat trick in Wednesday night’s Canadian Championship second leg against Vancouver Whitecaps, helping the Reds secure a third consecutive title with a 5-2 victory (7-4 on aggregate).

European football is nothing new to Altidore, who has been capped 110 times by the USMNT, having competed in La Liga, the Eredivisie, the Turkish Super Lig and the Premier League from 2008 to 2015 with the likes of Villarreal, Hull City, AZ, Bursaspor and Sunderland. His stay with the Black Cats was not a happy one, with Altidore scoring just three times over the course of two seasons.

In 107 appearances with TFC over four seasons, Altidore has scored 56 times and won five trophies with the club, including last year’s historic treble, and scored the game-winning goal in the club’s 2-0 triumph over Seattle Sounders in the 2017 MLS Cup Final.

Altidore’s agent, Lyle Yorks, did not respond to a request for comment from Carlisle.

Report: Anti-Semitism On The Rise In Britain

Anti-Semitic incidents have become so common in the UK that several Jews are planning to leave the country.

Mark Lewis, a famed libel and privacy lawyer, is leaving Britain. Worn down by years of anti-Semitic abuse and death threats, he has decided enough is enough.

The 53-year-old plans to begin a new life in Israel with his partner, Mandy Blumenthal, by year’s end. Both were born and raised in England. Both are very ready to leave, reports CNN.

“I just want to get out of here. It’s a massive thing to do but I’ve actually had enough,” Lewis said. “People might dislike me in Israel because of my political views, might think I’m too right-wing or left-wing or whatever, but they are not going to dislike me for being Jewish.”

Two people have previously been imprisoned for threatening to murder him for being Jewish, Lewis said. Now, he said, he’s reached the stage where he’s “almost being desensitized to the threats” – from both right and left – such is their regularity.

The couple’s decision comes as accusations of anti-Semitism dog Britain’s main opposition Labour Party and its leader, Jeremy Corbyn. At the same time, incidents of recorded anti-Semitism are near record levels.

Lewis sees Corbyn as a catalyst for anti-Semitism rather than a threat in himself, saying the Labour leader has “moved the rock and it’s the people who are crawling out from underneath it who are the problem.” As a public figure and prominent pro-Israel voice, Lewis is an easy target for abuse on social media.

The Community Security Trust (CST), a charity that fights anti-Semitism, recorded 727 anti-Semitic incidents in the first six months of 2018, the second-highest total ever marked for the first half of a year since the CST began recording anti-Semitic incidents in 1984. Only the total for the first six months of 2017 has been higher.

China Training Pilots For “Likely” Attack On US

China is actively developing its fleet of long-range bombers and “likely” training its pilots for missions targeting the US, according to a new Pentagon report.

“Over the last three years, the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) has rapidly expanded its overwater bomber operating areas, gaining experience in critical maritime regions and likely training for strikes against US and allied targets,” the report said.

Another flashpoint is Taiwan, which is seen by China as a breakaway province.

The document warns that China “is likely preparing for a contingency to unify Taiwan with China by force,” according to the BBC and CNN.

“Should the United States intervene, China would try to delay effective intervention and seek victory in a high-intensity, limited war of short duration,” the report says.

In a nod to China, the US cut formal ties with Taiwan in 1979 but continues to maintain close political and security ties, which irk Beijing.